Welcome to the first ever Silmarillion Awards!
The Silmarillion Awards have been created by DJ Edwardson and Jenelle Schmidt as a way to honor J.R.R. Tolkien as the Father of Modern Fantasy, open up a discussion about some of our other favorite fantasy works, and to have a ton of fun this summer.
This team is made up of bloggers and authors who will each be hosting one of these awards, called “Silmarils,” on their blogs towards the end of July.
But before we get there, we need YOUR help! Starting today, June 20th and proceeding through July 1st, the nomination period for each award will be open. Please visit the participating bloggers (found in the list below), read the descriptions of the awards and make your nominations!
The Silmarillion Awards highlight all of the wonderful elements from the best in fantasy fiction. These awards are not for authors or books, but for the characters, monsters, poetry, and weapons within them.
In honor of the work of J.R.R. Tolkien, this online awards event will recognize elements from ten categories (see below). These awards are both by fans of fantasy and for fans of fantasy.
Nominations are made by entering a comment on the post for a particular award. The top five nominees for each award will move on to final voting. Nominations must be from a work of fantasy fiction. Other than that, here are the rules for making and endorsing nominations:
Nominate characters in the comments of each blog post. If someone has already nominated the character you would have nominated, you may either second that nomination, open a new nomination, or do both. We will be picking the 5 characters with the most “seconds” for the final voting period that will take place between July 4th – 13th, so you may also “third,” “fourth,” “fifth,” etc any nominations you particularly like.
- Please do not nominate anything from one of your OWN books!
- You may nominate a character AND second, third, fourth a character… but please only vote once. (i.e. You cannot nominate a character and then also second that same character)
- Please share about the Silmarillion Awards on social media to spread the excitement far and wide across Middle Earth. Use the hashtag: #silmawards2016 wherever possible!
- Don’t nominate a Tolkien character for the awards, as the characters presenting the awards are already the standard for each award
- Don’t stress if a character you nominate doesn’t win this year. We are hoping to make this an annual tradition, and these awards are LIFETIME AWARDS, meaning that they cannot be won by the same character more than once!
Phase 1 – June 20-July 1: Award nominations open
Phase 2 – July 4: the final nominees will be announced and voting will open and last through July 14th
Phase 3 – July 16-28: Presentation of the awards, 1 per day, each award will be hosted on a different blog each day
Phase 4 – Celebration! July 29th was the official publication date of the Lord of the Rings back in 1954. We invite you all to celebrate with us the 62nd birthday of this masterpiece of Fantasy Fiction. Congratulate the winners, take and post a photo of yourselves with LOTR paraphernalia, write a blog post about your favorite LOTR moment, scene, character, quote, or memory… get creative and have fun!
List of each Silmaril Award category and their host:
(visit each one and vote!)
- DJ Edwardson Hosting the Best Friend Silmaril
- Jenelle Schmidt Hosting the Most Heart Wrenching Death Scene Silmaril
- Deborah O’Carroll Hosting the Strangest Character Silmaril
- Abbey Hosting the Most Nefarious Villain Silmaril
- JL Mbewe Hosting the Best Redemption Story Silmaril
- Tracey Hosting the Riddling and Poetry Silmaril
- Jack Lewis Baillot Hosting the Best Fantasy Mount Silmaril
- Madeline J. Rose Hosting the Most Epic Hero Silmaril
- Zachary Totah Hosting the Wisest Counsellor Silmaril
- Rawls E. Fantasy Hosting the Best Fantasy Weapon Silmaril
I will be hosting the Best Fantasy Weapon Silmaril here on my blog!
Below are the criteria for what sort of weapon ought to be nominated for this award. Keeping in mind that LOTR characters will be presenting these awards as the ultimate standard of Fantasy Fiction!
The winner of the Best Fantasy Weapon Silmaril award should go to the most memorable weapon whose power or beauty has left us awestruck and craving more. A weapon you greatly desire and would feel honored to wield. A weapon that has burned itself into your memory with its grace and sheer awesomeness.
This award will be presented to the weapon YOU vote for on June 16 by a very special presenter: the graceful, pointy-eared lady whom we’ve all come to know and love…
Now is the time for YOU to vote for the Weapon you deem worthy of the Best Fantasy Weapon Silmaril award!
Place your vote in the comments section below!
Please share this post and help spread the word! 🙂
Don’t forget to click the “Follow” button to be notified of future blog posts from me.
Subscribe to E. E. Rawls’s author Newsletter for books, info, & otherworldly adventure!
Goodreads / Facebook / Tumblr / Google+ / Twitter.
© copyright 2015-2016 E. E. Rawls and Rawls E. Fantasy