If you’ve been following this blog for more than a year, then you’ll remember this fun, annual event. For those that are new to it, these are awards presented to fantasy characters nominated and voted by YOU. These awards will be presented by characters from The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings, who embody the ultimate standard of each award in the fantasy genre.
The Silmarillion Awards were created by DJ Edwardson and Jenelle Schmidt as a way to honor J.R.R. Tolkien as the Father of Modern Fantasy, open up a discussion about some of our other favorite fantasy works, and to have a ton of fun this summer! You could call it their version of the Oscars for fantasy. 😉
This year, in addition to the awards, we have PRIZES to giveaway! Each blog will have a different giveaway running throughout the nomination and voting process. For more details, visit Jenelle Schmidt’s blog post HERE and read about the cool prizes being offered!
Let The Voting Begin!
My blog is hosting the Most Mischievous Imp Silmaril.
This award is for the Imp of all imps, the most brilliant doer of mischief and darer of troublemaking. Who never backs away from their curiosity, despite what happens to curious cats, and who can get into trouble as fast as get out of it, alive and in one piece.
This award will be presented to the character YOU vote for, by the presenter, the grand mischief-maker himself, Peregrin Took, more commonly known by his Impish codename Pippin the Hobbit.
Now, go forth to the comments section below this post and write in the comments who you want to nominate for this Silmaril award. You may also second of third someone else’s nomination.
The rules for voting and other info:
- Readers can nominate as many characters for each award as they like.
- Readers may second as many characters as they like.
- Readers may not nominate and then second their own recommendations (at this stage you can vote for as many characters as you want, but you still only get one vote per character).
- Authors are welcome to participate but may not nominate or second any of their OWN characters… they are welcome and encouraged to let their readers know about the awards and may suggest characters to their own readers that they could nominate for various awards.
- The awards are for fantasy characters only. Thus, Katniss Everdeen can’t be nominated because she is from Dystopian. Neither can Ender Wiggin… he’s Sci-Fi.
- Last year’s winners are ineligible for being nominated for this year’s awards. (The award I’m hosting doesn’t have a previous winner, so no worries here 🙂 )
- Tolkien characters are the STANDARD for these awards, and are therefore NOT eligible for winning, as having Gandalf present an award to himself would be awkward. Sauron will gladly accept nominations and the awkwardness, but we’re going to override him… 😉
- This year’s hashtag is #SilmAwards2017.
- This year people can buy mugs and t-shirts HERE!! (proceeds will go to cover costs of prizes for this year and/or next year’s Silmarillion Awards)
Enter for a chance to win a paperback of the novel Starscape by Benita J. Prins, and bookmarks from Jenelle Schmidt! To enter, you must nominate or second a nomination in the comments section below. Here is the Rafflecopter link:
Each blog is hosting a different giveaway, so be sure and check them all out! (see the blog list below)
Dates to remember:
July 3 – Nominations open (here, today!)
July 8 – Nominations close
July 10 – Voting begins
July 15 – Voting closes
July 17 – 28 – Monday through Friday Award Presentations
July 29 – Join us in celebrating the birthday of The Lord of the Rings by posting about why you love Tolkien, fantasy, or what The Lord of the Rings means to you… or something else related to those topics.
And now…GO FORTH AND VOTE FOR YOUR FAVORITE IN EACH CATEGORY! 🙂
Here is the list of this year’s participating blogs and Silmaril award categories, so hop on over to each:
To read last year’s Silmarillion Awards posts, look HERE.
Also be sure and subscribe to this blog’s email list so you can get in on book sneak peeks, special giveaways when held, and more from me!
© 2017 author E.E. Rawls and RawlsE.wordpress.com
(ads are by WordPress, not me)