The Silmaril Awards are all about celebrating fantasy fiction. While most awards go to authors or books, these awards go to the characters themselves!
This annual award ceremony presents awards to fantasy characters from novels–characters who are nominated by YOU. That’s right, it’s your vote that decides the win!
These awards will be presented by characters from The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings, who embody the ultimate standard of each award in the fantasy genre. Awards such as: Most Epic Hero, Least Competent Henchman, Most Wisest Counselor…just to name a few. 😉
The Silmaril Awards were created by DJ Edwardson and Jenelle Schmidt as a way to honor J.R.R. Tolkien as the Father of Modern Fantasy, open up a discussion about some of our other favorite fantasy works, and to have a ton of fun! You could call it their version of the Oscars for fantasy. 😉
And did I mention there’s a FANTASTIC GIVEAWAY that you can enter to win? Not only is there a $50 for Book Depository, but there’s also a custom map by Zac Totah, White Tree of Gondor bookmark, a big collection of books from various fantasy authors (including yours truly), and more! It’s truly an epic giveaway you do not want to miss! You can enter the rafflecopter here at this link:
Let The Voting Begin!
Nominations are now open: August 31st-September 4th.
I’ll be hosting the Least Competent Henchman award here on the blog.
This award is for…exactly how it sounds. The least competent evil assistant, who no doubt makes their villain master furious time and time again. Who strives to please their lord, yet mostly succeeds in making a fine mess of things.
This award will be presented by the leader of the Uruk’hai himself, Ugluk, to the character who YOU vote for.
Now, go forth to the comments section below this post and write in the comments who you want to nominate for this Silmaril award. You may also second or third someone else’s nomination.
The rules for voting and other info:
- Readers can nominate as many characters for each award as they like.
- Readers may second as many characters as they like.
- Readers may not nominate and then second their own recommendations (at this stage you can vote for as many characters as you want, but you still only get one vote per character).
- Authors are welcome to participate but may not nominate or second any of their OWN characters… they are welcome and encouraged to let their readers know about the awards and may suggest characters to their own readers that they could nominate for various awards.
- The awards are for fantasy characters only. Thus, Katniss Everdeen can’t be nominated because she is from Dystopian. Neither can Ender Wiggin… he’s Sci-Fi.
- Last year’s winners are ineligible for being nominated for this year’s awards.
- Tolkien characters are the STANDARD for these awards, and are therefore NOT eligible for winning.
- This year’s hashtag is #SilmAwards2018.
See the official website for the full schedule and links to the other silmaril awards at www.silmarilawards.com. The categories are:
- Least Competent Henchman
- Most Epic Hero
- Most Epic Heroine
- Most Faithful Friend
- Most Mischievous Imp
- Most Magnificent Dragon
- Most Nefarious Villain
- Silver Tongue
- Strangest Character
- Wisest Councillor
And now…GO FORTH AND NOMINATE! In the comments below this post, nominate your favorite LEAST COMPETENT HENCHMAN.
E.E. Rawls’s Books on Amazon: