The Silmaril Awards are all about celebrating fantasy fiction. While most awards go to authors or books, these awards go to the characters themselves!
This annual award ceremony presents awards to fantasy characters from novels–characters who are nominated by YOU. That’s right, it’s your vote that decides the win!
These awards will be presented by characters from The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings, who embody the ultimate standard of each award in the fantasy genre. Awards such as: Most Epic Hero, Least Competent Henchman, Most Wisest Counselor…just to name a few!
The Silmaril Awards were created by DJ Edwardson and Jenelle Schmidt as a way to honor J.R.R. Tolkien as the Father of Modern Fantasy, open up a discussion about some of our other favorite fantasy works, and to have a ton of fun! You could call it their version of the Oscars for fantasy. 😉
Let The Voting Begin!
Nominations are now open: September 5-9th.
Also included this year is a lovely fantasy-themed GIVEAWAY!
The Giveaway list: Set of Extended Edition Lord of the Rings trilogy DVDs (gently used collector’s item), The Hobbit Card Game (opened but unused), cool dragon bookmark, and assorted dragon stickers.
Click here to enter: Rafflecopter Giveaway
I’ll be hosting the Most Magnificent Dragon award here on the blog! So, vote below in the comments of this post for your favorite dragon from fantasy books to win!
This award is for the most noteworthy dragon–whether they be the most terrible (burning everyone to a crisp, like Smaug), the most boastful (also like Smaug), or the most wise and endearing (definitely not like Smaug). A dragon whose deeds will be remembered, and who, therefore, is worthy of being named Most Magnificent Dragon!
This award will be presented by the great and greedy Smaug to the winning character! That’s right, you heard it. Smaug will be here in all his fiery and arrogant glory! Look forward to it. 😉
Now, go forth to the comments section below this post and write in the comments who you want to nominate for this Silmaril award. You may also second or third someone else’s nomination.
The rules for voting and other info:
- Readers can nominate as many characters for each award as they like.
- Readers may second as many characters as they like.
- Readers may not nominate and then second their own recommendations (at this stage you can vote for as many characters as you want, but you still only get one vote per character).
- Authors are welcome to participate but may not nominate or second any of their OWN characters… they are welcome and encouraged to let their readers know about the awards and may suggest characters to their own readers that they could nominate for various awards.
- The awards are for fantasy characters only. Thus, Katniss Everdeen can’t be nominated because she is from Dystopian. Neither can Ender Wiggin… he’s Sci-Fi.
- Last year’s winners are ineligible for being nominated for this year’s awards.
- Tolkien characters are the STANDARD for these awards, and are therefore NOT eligible for winning.
- This year’s hashtag is #SilmAwards2022.
And now, in the comments below this post, nominate your favorite MOST MAGNIFICENT DRAGON!
Visit the other nomination blog posts for each Award by clicking below. And view the full schedule at www.silmarilawards.com. The Awards are:
- Most Epic Hero
- Most Epic Heroine
- Most Faithful Friend
- Most Mischievous Imp
- Most Magnificent Dragon
- Most Majestic Ruler
- Most Nefarious Villain
- Silver Tongue
- Strangest Character
- Wisest Councilor
Looking for an autumn read this season? This fairy tale retelling has all the autumn feels and an Austrian Alps setting!